Children & Families

Children & Families

We are fortunate to be raising our children in an amazing community. The State's Attorney's Office is often asked about resources and information on what we can all do when it comes to caring for our kids and families.  This page points you to places where you can find the answers to the questions people most frequently ask of the State's Attorneys Office.


Financial Assistance for Families with Children.  If you need financial help providing for your children, the Vermont Department of Children and Families (DCF), Economic Services division has a number of programs that provide assistance with daycare subsidies, meeting nutritional needs, and providing other basic care.  You can contact the Economic Services Division by calling (800) 479-6151 or you can apply for benefits online.


Report Welfare Fraud.  While many families lawfully access economic benefits, there are some individuals who abuse the system of financial benefits for unlawful gain.  If you suspect someone is committing welfare fraud, you can report online at the link below or by calling 800-479-6151 during regular business hours.


Report Suspected Child Abuse.  If you believe anyone is abusing a child, you can make a report of suspected abuse by calling the Child Protection Hotline, 1-800-649-5285, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  If the child is in a situation where they are in danger of immediate physical harm, call 911.


Check Out Daycare Providers Reports and Ratings.  Children relying upon their parents and guardians to insure their safety.  Therefore, parents and guardians should carefully examine any potential daycare provider before hiring them.  You can review ratings and records of past violations at daycare provider facilities. 


Child Custody Disputes.  The State's Attorney's Office does not handle custody disputes between parents.  Instead, every Vermont county has a courthouse with a family division. The family division is also called family court. There are no jury trials in family court. Instead, the presiding judge or magistrate makes the decision.  Assistant judges may also sit with the presiding judge in select cases, such as divorces.

Each family division manages all family-related legal matters. Decisions about divorce, separation, civil union dissolution, parentage, parental rights and responsibilities and schedules for parent child contact are decided in the family division. Child support is also decided here. Many people come to the family division to change previous court orders. These usually involve child support, custody arrangements, or visitation (called parent–child contact). When a child has been delinquent, abused, or neglected, the family court judge decides how to help or protect that child. The family division determines how best to protect victims of domestic violence

Find more information at